Title: Health and Safety Administrator
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
- Advance your career with a growing pharmaceutical company!
- Use your science background to make a positive impact in the lives of others!
- Competitive remuneration and benefits package!
Medipure’s mission is to revolutionize drug discovery and bring innovative and safe medication for the treatment of pain, anxiety and skin disorders. We bring novel prescription medicines to market, providing patients with serious conditions valuable solutions that improve quality of life through the development of safe and effective endocannabinoid-based therapeutics.
Through rapid cost-effective product development, by addressing market needs, and establishing strategic partnerships, we seek to maximize the value of our products and provide innovative treatments for targeted diseases. For information, please visit our website.
About the Opportunity
Medipure is rapidly growing and we have an exciting opportunity for Health and Safety Administrator to join our team at our R&D lab in Burnaby (B.C., Canada) on a full-time basis.
The Health and Safety Administrator is mainly responsible for the laboratory safety program at Medipure Pharmaceuticals Inc. and ensures that all R&D laboratory facilities are in compliance with local and national regulations and standards. In addition, they will assist in purchasing chemicals, evaluating risks, implementing safety controls and maintaining an up-to-date chemical inventory.
Specific responsibilities include developing policies, monitoring compliance, conducting risk assessments and internal inspections and audits, documenting and updating safety-related training, assisting in investigations of incidents, compiling and providing any reports/documentation as required by regulatory agencies, continual improvements of the safety program, purchasing and inventory management.
Note: ONLY Applications submitted through our website will be considered for this position http://medipurepharmaceuticals.com/careers
- Lead, manage, audit and administer the safety program in Medipure’s R&D Department, promoting safe practices and procedures in research.
- Coordinate the development, review, evaluation, implementation, promotion, maintenance and training/education of safety-related policies, SOPs, reports, and other documentation.
- Ensure Medipure is in full compliance with all regulatory requirements/permits including WorkSafeBC and other municipal, provincial, and federal governments/agencies.
- Contribute to the development and coordination of the safety and security training program, including transport of dangerous goods, personal protective equipment, waste management, and facilities management.
- Investigate incidents, determine root cause, implement corrective actions/processes/procedures and report incidents to WorkSafeBC.
- Develop protocols for, and conduct regular inspections and audits evaluating compliance with all legislation; report on the findings to senior management.
- Provide subject matter expertise and consult with appropriate stakeholders within the Research and Development department, including scientists, regarding the identification, evaluation, and mitigation of hazards and maintaining compliance with appropriate legislation.
- Purchase and receive chemicals and manage the chemical inventory system. Identify the hazards associated with each chemical received as well as the recommended personal protective equipment.
- Assist with the identification of appropriate biological laboratory containment levels, and strategies for hazard assessment and control. Work with research teams and staff to assess safety risks and develop appropriate safety controls.
- Implements multi-disciplinary programs including biological, chemical, and physical hazard exposure monitoring and other program areas. Develop written plans, training modules, fact sheets, and other communications.
- Manage laboratory waste storage and disposal with contractors meeting the requirements of federal and local regulations.
- Act as employee health and safety representative and first aider at the lab.
- Assign respirators, perform fit testing, and conduct maintenance on respiratory protection as required.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, meetings, and team events.
- Manage phone calls and incoming and outgoing mail/correspondence.
The Ideal Candidate
In order to qualify for this role, you will have
- Minimum 5+ years of related work experience in compliance, regulatory affairs, or other related fields in the R&D environment.
- Degree or diploma in a related field, preferably in occupational health and safety, environmental sciences, or other scientific fields.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety appropriate to the risks associated with the lab’s activities, attained through a combination of education, training, and experience.
- Knowledge of principles and practices pertaining to Environmental/Occupational Health and Safety.
- Knowledge of applicable Canadian legislation.
- Experience in developing laboratory safety programs, including related policies, SOPs, processes, and training/education.
- Ability to identify problems, apply sound judgment, and proactively take the initiative to address issues.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written). Ability to build positive working relationships and work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment.
- CRSP or CSP certification (Certified Safety Professional) is an advantage.
You will do well in this role if you have the ability to work independently and with limited supervision. Strong problem solving, troubleshooting, multitasking, and decision-making skills are essential, as is good time management and prioritization skills. You must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Above all, you will have excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to give presentations as required. Strong team building, training, and coaching skills will be the key to your success in this role.
About the Benefits
Upon joining Medipure you will be welcomed into a dynamic and multicultural team. In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a competitive annual salary plus a comprehensive benefits package.
And that's not all! When you join Medipure, you will have the ability to define your own career path while working with an engaged and excited team.
If you want to further develop your skills and build a long-term career with a growing company – Apply Today!