Title: Corporate Controller
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Advance your career with a growing pharmaceutical company!
- Use your professional background to make a positive impact in the lives of others!
- Competitive remuneration and benefits package!
Medipure’s mission is to revolutionize drug discovery and bring innovative and safe medication for the treatment of pain, anxiety and skin disorders. We bring novel prescription medicines to market, providing patients with serious conditions valuable solutions that improve quality of life through the development of safe and effective endocannabinoid-based therapeutics.
Through rapid cost-effective product development, by addressing market needs, and establishing strategic partnerships, we seek to maximize the value of our products and provide innovative treatments for targeted diseases. For information, please visit our website.
About the Opportunity
We are looking for an efficient Corporate Controller to undertake the overall administration and provision of all Accounting duties.
The ideal candidate will have a broad knowledge of Accounting and Finance. Ability to work autonomously and efficiently to ensure the end-to-end running of accounting activities and operations is essential.
The controller position reports to the CEO and is accountable for the accounting and tax compliance operations of the company. Responsible for the production of periodic regulatory compliant financial reports, design and maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records with a comprehensive set of internal controls and budgets. This ‘hands-on” position requires an ability to provide and communicate insights about the company’s reported financial results as well as ensuring that reported results comply with international financial reporting standards.
Note: ONLY Applications submitted through our website will be considered for this position http://medipurepharmaceuticals.com/careers
Demonstrated application of core accounting and financial skills
- Thorough knowledge of all relevant Federal, Provincial and statutory requirements as applicable to financial and tax reporting
- Experience producing audited financial statements and coordinating with external auditors
- Applied knowledge of income tax accounting and compliance, foreign currency translation and consolidation accounting
- Financial analysis, budget and forecast preparation including support and input into the strategic planning process
Experience with management and administration of QuickBooks accounting system and software as well as an advanced knowledge of MS Office suite
- Full knowledge of financial and internal controls to protect company assets and mitigate potential risks
Leadership and personal skills
- Able to work efficiently both independently and as part of a team including effective leadership of a small team
Written and verbal communication skills at a professional level including presentations to Boards, external advisers, and capital providers
- Good problem-solving skills with the ability to make and take the necessary decisions to move forward the work at hand
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons or facts
- Ability to develop and steward relationships with external clients (financial institutions, external auditors/accountants)
Time Management and Organizational skills
- Able to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines with a high level of integrity and dependability combined with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Excellent organizational, time management and prioritizing skills
- Attention to detail in all areas of work
Accountabilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Full cycle accounting functions in coordination with accounting staff - day to day processing of transactions and updating accounting records, monitoring bank accounts, completing monthly reconciliations, managing financial reporting, accounts receivables, payroll and treasury functions
- Consolidated Financial statements - prepare and present monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in full compliance with IFRS, local accounting rules and tax regulations.
- Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation in consultation with Directors, prepare, manage the annual budgeting process, maintain comparatives and work closely with senior group leaders to meet/exceed expectations
- Coordinate with and support activities of independent auditors, ensuring all audit issues are resolved, all compliance issues are met, and the preparation of the annual financial statements are in accordance with GAAP and federal, provincial, state and other required supplementary schedules and information. Coordinate all other regulatory audits
- Prepare, manage and comply with various levels of regulatory reporting requirements and corporate tax filings (i.e. income tax, GST, PST, WorkSafe BC, AR insurance reports)
- Cash flow analysis and budgeting - prepare short and long-term cash flow analysis, annual budgets and other ad-hoc financial analysis as required
- Support all major company financial transactions (funding, partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, etc.)
Develop and document business processes, procedurm accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Develop and maintain effective internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization, ensure compliance with company policies, GAAP as well as applicable federal, provincial, state and local regulations
- Prepare, analyze and present monthly, quarterly and annual operating results for management
- Work with operations to define, measure, analyze, improve and control current processes which impact quality and influence internal operating efficiency
- Provide strategic analysis as required to drive improved decision making
- Provide advice and guidance on all accounting matters including financial systems, record keeping, analysis, and reporting
- Support new systems or project selections and implementation from strategic finance and internal control perspective
- Research and apply for government grants/rebates where applicable (SR&ED)
- Promote and maintain positive corporate relations with the financial community
- Other related duties as required or assigned
- University degree or MBA in Business/Accounting
- CPA, CA, CMA or CGA designation
- 10+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles and management experience with the day-to-day financial operations
- Full knowledge of IFRS including foreign currency translation and consolidation accounting
- Public reporting experience with companies listed on TSX, NYSE, Nasdaq
- Demonstrated knowledge of income tax and deferred income tax compliance and accounting
- Ability to work with diverse group of people
You will do well in this role if you have the ability to work independently and with limited supervision. Strong problem solving, troubleshooting, multitasking, and decision-making skills are essential, as is good time management and prioritization skills. You must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Above all, you will have excellent written and verbal communications skills and the ability to give presentations as required. Strong team building, training, and coaching skills will be the key to your success in this role.
About the Benefits
Upon joining Medipure you will be welcomed into a dynamic and multicultural team. In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a competitive annual salary plus a comprehensive benefits package.
And that's not all! When you join Medipure, you will have the ability to define your own career path while working with an engaged and excited team.