Medipure’s mission is to revolutionize drug discovery and bring innovative and safe medication for the treatment of pain, anxiety and skin disorders. We bring novel prescription medicines to market, providing patients with serious conditions valuable solutions that improve quality of life through the development of safe and effective endocannabinoid-based therapeutics.
Through rapid cost-effective product development, by addressing market needs, and establishing strategic partnerships, we seek to maximize the value of our products and provide innovative treatments for targeted diseases. For information, please visit our website.
Position: Polymer Chemist
Reports to (Position) CTO
1 Year contract
1 Principle Accountabilities
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer the incumbent is responsible for developing, optimizing and up-scaling the novel proprietary polymers as a ingredient of drug delivery systems, used in various R&D clinical trial projects ensuring they adhere to FDA, EMA, and Health Canada requirements for safety, efficiency and quality. The Polymer Chemist will support R&D projects by conducting development, evaluation, analytical characterization, and technology transfer of novel polymers to scientists involved in drug delivery, formulation development and clinical manufacturing activities.
2. Job Duties
- Develop novel, non-toxic and effective polymers for oral, transmucosal, transdermal/topical formulations as hydrogels, nanoformulations, creams/lotions, oral dissolvable thin films, and transdermal films. Expertise in the synthesis of cellulose derivatives, chitosan, carageenan, polyacrylates, polyvinylalcohol, polyvinylpyrrolidone etc.
- Develop infrastructure for analysis and execution of polymer synthesis and formulation research activities.
- Plan, develop, and implement scientifically well-designed experiments with minimal direction and guidance.
- Interact closely with other departments to develop comprehensive and differentiated products for market.
- Highly active in intellectual property creation.
- Identify critical process parameters and process control for scaling up the manufacturing process and transfers the technology accurately to the Manufacturing Department.
- Participate in investigations into product failure. Ensure involvement in all trouble-shooting activities.
- Maintain excellent laboratory records and write reports and research summaries as required
- Support R&D activities related to novel drug delivery system.
- All other duties as assigned.
- M.Sc., Ph.D. or equivalent in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Chemistry or in Polymer chemistry with more than 5 years biotech/medical industry experience in an R&D setting.
- Strong polymer synthesis background is a must. In-depth knowledge of structure-property relations and materials properties; ability to design materials to desired properties is a must.
- Monomer synthesis experience is strongly required.
- Familiar and current with various polymerization techniques.
- In-depth knowledge to develop and synthesize new polymers in the broad fields of organic, inorganic and hybrid materials.
- Familiar with organic/polymer analytical techniques and data interpretation including but not limited to (HPLC, LC-MS, TGA, FTIR, DSC, NMR, UV-Vis, XRPD, Viscosity, SEC etc.)
- Knowledge of drug delivery research is a must.
- Experience with handling of a controlled substance is a plus.
- Highly motivated and self-driven individual with the ability to work independently, and multi-task under aggressive timeline to support team and corporate objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple departments and levels within the organization.
- Strong ability to coordinate multiple projects and priorities under time constraints.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be flexible, a strong team player, excellent attention to detail and have a hands-on approach.
About the Benefits
Upon joining Medipure you will be welcomed into a dynamic and multicultural team. In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a competitive annual salary plus a comprehensive benefits package.
And that's not all! When you join Medipure, you will have the ability to define your own career path while working with an engaged and excited team.