Medipure’s mission is to revolutionize drug discovery and bring innovative and safe medication for the treatment of pain, anxiety and skin disorders. We bring novel prescription medicines to market, providing patients with serious conditions valuable solutions that improve quality of life through the development of safe and effective endocannabinoid-based therapeutics.
Through rapid cost-effective product development, by addressing market needs, and establishing strategic partnerships, we seek to maximize the value of our products and provide innovative treatments for targeted diseases. For information, please visit our website.
This is a part-time positions, 3 days per week.
Position: Research Safety Officer
Reports to (Position) CTO
1. Principle Accountability
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer the incumbent is responsible for the laboratory research safety program at Medipure. The Officer will ensure that all R&D laboratory facilities follow local and national regulations and standards. In addition, they will assist in purchasing chemicals, evaluating risks, implementing safety controls and maintaining an up-to-date chemical inventory.
2. Job Duties
- Manage, audit and administer the safety program in Medipure’s R&D Department, promoting safe practices and procedures in research.
- Develop policies, procedures and related laboratory safety.
- Coordinate the development, review, evaluation, implementation, promotion, maintenance and training/education of safety-related policies, SOPs, reports, and other documentation.
- Ensure Medipure is in full compliance with all regulatory requirements/permits including WorkSafeBC and other provincial, and federal governments as necessary.
- Contribute to the development and coordination of the safety and security training program, including transport of dangerous goods, personal protective equipment, waste management, and facilities management.
- Assist in investigating incidents, determine root cause, implement corrective actions/processes/procedures and report incidents to WorkSafeBC and Human Resources.
- Conduct regular inspections and audits evaluating compliance with all legislation; report on the findings to senior management.
- Provide subject matter expertise and consult with appropriate stakeholders within the Research and Development department, including scientists, regarding the identification, evaluation, and mitigation of hazards and maintaining compliance with appropriate legislation.
- Purchase and receive chemicals and manage the chemical inventory system. Identify the hazards associated with each chemical received as well as the recommended personal protective equipment.
- Assist with the identification of appropriate biological laboratory containment levels, and strategies for hazard assessment and control. Work with research teams and staff to assess safety risks and develop appropriate safety controls.
- Implements multi-disciplinary programs including biological, chemical, and physical hazard exposure monitoring and other program areas. Develop written plans, training modules, fact sheets, and other communications.
- Manage laboratory waste storage and disposal with contractors meeting the requirements of federal and local regulations.
- Act as employee health and safety representative as needed at the laboratory.
- Assign respirators, and coordinate fit testing training, and maintenance on respiratory protection as required.
Must maintain professional certification related to health and safety discipline such as biosafety (CBSP, RBP), general safety (CRSP, CSP, CSP), or Risk Management (CRM). Knowledge of laboratory safety appropriate to the risks associated with the lab’s activities, attained through a combination of education, training, and experience.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting health and safety workplace inspections and assessments in research environments, including laboratories and non-laboratories and recommend revisions to health and safety standards and programs.
- Experience in radiation safety is an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of the BC Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations under the Act.
- Experience in identifying and implementing training needs in response to health and safety issues or problems or compliance issues, preparing presentations and training in an adult learning environment.
- Knowledge of applicable Canadian legislation.
- Ability to identify problems, apply sound judgment, and proactively take the initiative to address issues.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written). Ability to build positive working relationships and work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment.
About the Benefits
Upon joining Medipure you will be welcomed into a dynamic and multicultural team. In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a competitive annual salary plus a comprehensive benefits package.
And that's not all! When you join Medipure, you will have the ability to define your own career path while working with an engaged and excited team.